“A major reason for poor performance of many linguistic and ethnic minority children is that they are often taught in a language they struggle to understand. It limits their ability to develop foundations for later learning and negatively affects their cognitive development.” UNESCO
Last year, TCF built its very first schools in the Tharparkar district and plans to develop and implement a multilingual education framework first in these schools with potential to scale it across the province. This entails implementing a framework which potentially uses the students’ mother tongue and incorporates the regional language, language of common use (Urdu) and an international language (English) at various stages of a child’s schooling journey.
TCF has successfully completed the research phase, and now moving to the Second Phase of developing resources and capacity for the aspired multilingual education framework.
The incumbent will be responsible for facilitating modification and translation of Social Studies resource materials from Urdu to Sindhi, and designing relevant training and assessment tools.
Modifying Resource Materials:
- Review existing Social Studies textbooks, Teacher Guide, Workbook and other materials developed across primary years, and design and implement modification strategy for all resource materials including Teacher Guides for Ethics, as per MTB-MLE need
Medium of Instruction (MOI) Transition Journey:
- Study the MOI transition strategy research and design and develop materials that enable a gradual transition from Sindhi to Urdu in the desired primary years
Training Design and Implementation:
- Designing capacity building program for Social Studies teachers, and carrying out its implementation
Assessment Design and Implementation:
- Developing observation tools based on research to evaluate student and teacher proficiency in Social Studies
- Creating awareness among the community towards the benefits of gradually transitioning from Sindhi to Urdu and English in the subject of Social Studies
- Strong verbal, reading and written communication skills in Sindhi, Urdu and English
- Enthusiastic about curriculum design, literacy development and research in learning in the primary years
- Engaged in interdisciplinary and experiential learning
- Strong computer literacy (MS Office, Powerpoint, internet navigation)
- Interest in observing the role of language in education, amidst the multitude of aspiration and context driven factors
- Values inter-personal skills and has the ability to develop meaningful working relationships
- Community mobilization knowledge will be an added advantage