“A major reason for poor performance of many linguistic and ethnic minority children is that they are often taught in a language they struggle to understand. It limits their ability to develop foundations for later learning and negatively affects their cognitive development.” UNESCO
Last year, TCF built its very first schools in the Tharparkar district and plans to develop and implement a multilingual education framework first in these schools with potential to scale it across the province. This entails implementing a framework which potentially uses the students’ mother tongue and incorporates the regional language, language of common use (Urdu) and an international language (English) at various stages of a child’s schooling journey.
TCF has successfully completed the research phase, and now moving to the Second Phase of developing resources and capacity for the aspired multilingual education framework.
The incumbent will be responsible for resource material development in Dhatki language, and designing training and assessment tools for Nursery and KG.
- Developing Dhatki Qaida, Teacher Guide, Workbook and other materials for Nursery and KG level, including transition materials for Dhatki to Sindhi language
- Developing leveled read aloud stories including implementation guide and plan for primary years
Training Design and Implementation:
- Designing capacity building program for Dhatki language teachers, and carrying out its implementation
Assessment Design and Implementation:
- Developing observation tools to evaluate proficiency in Dhatki and transition to Sindhi
Community Awareness and Engagement tools:
- Creating awareness among the community about the need for Dhatki formal inclusion, and engaging them in textbook and story development, and its implementation
Communication and Collaboration:
- Identify, communicate and coordinate with various stakeholders interested in and impacted by MTB-MLE within and outside organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in Dhatki and Sindhi (proficiency in Urdu and English is preferred)
- Keen interest in observing the role of language in education, amidst the multitude of aspiration and context driven factors
- Enthusiastic about curriculum design, literacy development and research in early childhood learning
- Understanding of students context and role of progression in language development
- Strong computer literacy (MS Office, Powerpoint, internet navigation)
- Values inter-personal skills and has the ability to develop meaningful working relationships
- Interest in Sindhi and Dhatki literature
- Community mobilization knowledge will be an added advantage